Wednesday, August 29, 2007

(But it's just a) sweet, sweet fantasy, baby

As a baseball fan, I've found that "fantasy" leagues diminish my enjoyment of the game. I get off plenty watching mid-June highlights of Mariners vs. Padres. I don't need to know whether Yuniesky Bettancourt went 3-4 with a double and two stolen bases to increase my appreciation of the game.

Conversely, however, I find fantasy football adds to my enjoyment. Maybe because it's a weekly phenomenon: Sunday, when I'm typically at home either relaxing or working, and require the second browser window on my computer to make games interesting. Perhaps it's because I'm a Cowboys and (marginal) Chiefs fan--not a lot to root for over the last decade. And really, why else would I care about a Titans-Browns tilt?

Anyway, my fantasy draft for this season--my fourth straight year in a league with a bunch of friends from college--was last Sunday. Last year I finished third, my best showing ever. This year, I'm enlisting the help of my blog readers to help make decisions, but you probably ought to know my team before I set out. Here's my (extremely average) roster.

First pick: Frank Gore, RB, San Francisco 49ers
Stud RB, but not sexy. Wish I'd had the third pick (I drafted fourth overall), but way better than some alternatives.

Second pick: Travis Henry, RB, Denver Broncos
So he's got nine kids with nine women. He's an all-pro playing for Denver. Nuff said if he's healthy.

Third pick: Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots
I see a baby-daddy theme emerging, do you? Hall of Famer, though.

Fourth pick: Roy Williams, WR, Detroit Lions
Not bad for the fourth round, no?

Fifth pick: Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco 49ers
A steal here. Gonna be watching a lot of left coast games.

Sixth pick: Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans
Had him two years ago. I think he's gonna be good... this time.

Seventh pick: Warrick Dunn, RB, Atlanta Falcons
Woulda been a better pick three years ago, but not bad for my Flex position.

Eighth pick: Defense, Denver Broncos
Hey, a quarter of their games will be against Kansas City and Oakland.

Ninth pick: Donte Stallworth, WR, New England Patriots
If Randy Moss is a washout, he's their No. 1, hands down. I think I'll be starting him by Week 4.

Tenth pick: Dominic Rhodes, RB, Oakland Raiders
Here's where things go to pot. He may start, he may not. Ehhhhh.....

Eleventh pick: Vernand Morancy, RB, Green Bay Packers
My worst pick. He's the only incumbent, but dammit if he's not hurt. Probably my first waiver wire drop.

Twelveth pick: Derrick Mason, WR, Baltimore Ravens
Again, three years ago this is solid. May be trade bait.

Thirteenth pick: Matt Schaub, QB, Houston Texans
I listen to too much sports radio. But I only hope to play him one week, so...

Fourteenth pick: Nate Burleson, WR, Seattle Seahawks
I don't know what I was thinking, either.

Fifteenth pick: Stephen Gostkowski, K, New England Patriots
You gotta have a kicker, right?

So there they are. It's a 10-team league, so the waiver wire is thin. Let me know where I'm lacking, who I should trade for, etc. If you give a crap.

Peace

ML

1 comment:

  1. I've been hearing a lot about this Michael Vick guy.

    Think he's gonna be good?

    A sleeper maybe?

    ReplyDelete