Saturday, September 1, 2007

Let me see if you can run it, run it

Today's 16.2 miles set a new standard for pain: It's been almost seven hours since I finished, and every muscle in my leg is screaming through the handful of ibuprofen I downed an hour or two ago. I bitched about soreness in high school, but in retrospect I should not have.

That said, it was a hell of a run. I only stopped once every three miles for water, and really gutted through some knee pain. By the end my legs were cramping pretty bad, but my knee had stopped hurting. That's either good or bad. If I can't walk tomorrow I may be in trouble.

Still, I'm only 10 miles from a full marathon--the distance of an out-and-back on my favorite Greenway trail, which I've run a hundred times. If I can take care of my legs, eat right and keep focused, I may actually finish this damn thing!

This is the first time in weeks that I've actually run on Saturday with the Team In Training group and not on Sunday on my own; it's nice because I can now enjoy my (long) weekend. I've been casually watching some college football waiting for the Cardinals game tonight. Damn shame about Juan Encarnacion, the Cardinals outfielder. You don't wish this on anyone. Without that, it would have been one of the better games all year--Rick Ankiel hit a grand slam off a lefty? Inconceivable!

Happy Labor Day!

Peace

ML

3 comments:

  1. Wow, bravo!

    So did you ever end up sitting on the couch eating bonbons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I can't even think about running that far without getting sick.

    ReplyDelete