Friday, July 27, 2007

Updates, Updates, Updates!

It's been a bit of a zany week, as anyone associated with the magazine or my family can attest. I know only one way of cutting through the shiznit. Bullet points!!!


(Okay, so I don't know how to make a damn bullet point in Blogger on a PC. I hate effin' PCs. Asterisks it is--might be more appropriate anyway.)


* Marathon Update: Much too late to be called coming to our senses, Nichole and I realized that $3,800 each is an absolutely absurd amount to try and raise to run a marathon (or half marathon, in her case), especially when you're splitting all your donors down the middle. Ergo, she has stopped the running program--with cheerleading practice starting this week she was doomed to fall behind anyway--and I have switched to the Kansas City marathon instead of San Francisco. It's not as sexy, no, but far less vertical. It also requires half as much money raised, and Nichole can tag along on our anniversary weekend without paying for a plane ticket. She regrets stopping, but our ability to raise that money--or even find the time to try--just doesn't exist, and we patently refuse to chunk the unraised balance on a credit card. Debt is debt, even if the money goes to a good cause. I'll update this site's sidebar item to reflect my change in destination. Thanks to all who have donated, and keep it coming if you can!


* Reading Update: So we finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in two days--I read out loud for about 20 out of 34 hours over the weekend. I'll put up a more detailed review at some point, but overall I thought it was a fine way to close out the series, even if the ending was a little stunted and treacle. St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Chris Duncan liked it, too (photo from the Riverfront Times website).



* Movie Update: Saw The Simpsons Movie on Thursday night at the mini-premiere reserved for each of the nation's Springfields. It's everything a Simpsons movie should be, which is simply an hour and 20 minute episode, with a few goodies thrown in that you can't have on TV... even FOX... like Bart's private parts and Marge dropping the "GD" bomb. Good stuff. See it.


* Softball Update: Finally, the Whitaker Publishing Write Fielders won their first and only game of the softball season on Wednesday. Read about it here. Woo-hoo! I played shortstop for the winning team.


Have a great week. I'll try to blog about tomorrow's run this weekend.


Peace.



ML

2 comments:

  1. I've always heard Kansas City described as the San Fransisco of the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I really want to get into Harry Potter but I haven't read any of it yet. I felt like i must confess that somewhere in cyberspace. you're lucky.

    ReplyDelete