Saturday, July 7, 2007

One foot goes in front of the other, right?

Like so many of us in local media, I have decided to start my own blog. There are two reasons why:

1. I am training to run a marathon. Today was our weekly Saturday-morning "long run." Eight miles, to be exact. It fuc*ing sucked, my first day where I finished and said "Why in God's name am I doing this." I'm sure there will be more. A purpose of this blog is to help me through it.

2. Cleverly, however, I named it such that on days when I don't have a running update, I can sound of on this or that. There will be plenty of days like that. As journalists we so often write for other people that we need a place to write for ourselves. That may be a bit self-indulgent, but do blogs have any purpose larger than immediate gratification?

I suppose it's time for the "disclaimer." I am the editor of a magazine here in Springfield. Many of you will know it, some may not. This blog has nothing to do with that magazine. I will refrain from complaining about work if you refrain from confusing this blog and the opinions contained herein with the opinions or purposes of that magazine. I may link occasionally, if there's something worth sharing, but that's about it. For a proper example of a "this has nothing to do with my job" statement, I refer you to the homepage of my boss, mentor and fellow blogger, Gregory Holman (gregoryholman.blogspot.com.)

More later...

M

3 comments:

  1. And by keeping the work details out... they shouldn't have any legal right to complain methinks.

    And it's just good biz sense.

    If I don't get you rolled up on the side soon... punk me or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowsahs. Both a link and a label. Neato!

    Props for the marathon business. I think that's just spiffy. My idea of a marathon is walking from C-Street to the Square with cellphone glued to ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait wait what? Mag-a-zine? Spring-field? This interweb is a magical thing!

    ReplyDelete